Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Our little schnauzer ate dog food that had been sprayed with

Customer Question

Our little schnauzer ate dog food that had been sprayed with ant killer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lillie bell. We think about 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lillie?
Customer: The food had been sprayed about a week ago. She ate some of it yesterday. Main ingrediant in the insecticide is lambda cyhalothrin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I can help you this morning. I have good news for you. Lambda Cyhalothrin is a synthetic pyrethrin pesticide is only toxic to dogs in large amounts. If you only sprayed the food with the product, this is actually a fairly small amount of the pesticide and she will likely be fine. I have only seen toxicity with this ingredient with granular ant powders that people put on ant mounts and the dogs ATE a significant amount of the granules.

The main signs of toxicity are muscle tremors and shaking. If you see any of these, she will need to go to the ER right away. If there is no shaking or muscle tremors in the next 6 hours, she is going to be fine.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Lilly Bell now? Any muscle tremors? Any vomiting of the old food? Please let me know how she is doing. I was worried about her today.

Dr. Amanda