Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

12 week old bernedoodle from good breeder. purchased puppy

Customer Question

12 week old bernedoodle from good breeder. purchased puppy food recommended by breeder and food puppy was on. bison based. breeder stated puppy eats too fast and gets diarrhea. puppy was shipped from colorado to chicago. puppy had diarrhea and huge amount of stool from 1st day. put puppy on ground beef and rice immediately and called vet. also, breeder said he may have gialardia and go purchase the med, 250 mg and put in his food. We did and started the med and kept him on the rice and beef. diarrhea stopped. puppy went to vet for checkup and stool sample. no parasites and no gialardia, but puppy underweight. took him off med. after 4 days on rice and beef, gave him less than 1/8 of cup of puppy food mixed with rice and beef.
3 hours later, diarrhea returned. I immediately took him off the puppy food and back on rice and beef. researched food and purchased canin puppy food for poodles. gave him very, very small amount of puppy food mixed with rice and beef, diarrhea again. Now i am researching probiotics. Do you have any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Congratulations on the new addition to the house. I'm going to say that eating too fast shouldn't cause diarrhea. Eating too fast can distend the stomach and cause vomiting in my opinion. As far as the diarrhea that this little one keeps having, it may be his intestinal tract needs a little more time to get used to the diet that you're trying to feed. When making the transition to a new food, I like to have 1/3 new mixed with 2/3 old for 3 days, then 1/2 and 1/2 for 3 days, then 2/3 new to 1/3 old for 3 days, and then lastly all new. You could in this situation mix a little of the new food in with the ground beef and rice and progressively go to more and more of the diet. This can help his intestinal tract get used to the food. As far as probiotics go, this may help here. Here is a link on Purina's Fortiflora which a lot of clinics use.

https://www.proplanveterinarydiets.com/products/fortiflora-dog/

It wouldn't hurt to screen another stool sample at his next vaccine visit to make sure there are still no underlying parasite issue. Sometimes the giardia can be tough to diagnose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only gave him very little puppy food mixed with the rice and beef. I think it is giardia and not detectable. would a change of water in different cities make a difference

The water quality coming out of one cities faucets compared to another shouldn't make a bit of difference. I would place no suspicion on that water source (unless he was drinking from a lot of puddles, creeks, ponds now). The giardia can be a tough one to diagnose. Just not finding it on a single stool evaluation doesn't mean it isn't there.