Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog i n,s straining to urinate often, with some urine and

Customer Question

my dog i n,s straining to urinate often, with some urine and some blood
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Coco is having urinary problems. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she urinating more frequently?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is she spayed?

5- Any other symptoms?

I am sorry I can not make a live call. But, I will be glad to answer your question on this thread. Or, I can opt out so another expert could help you. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it started during night She is spayed and is had Lime

The history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to the vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Other possible causes could be bladder stones. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, she will need to see your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and urinalysis as an initial screening test. In addition, she will be started on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, increase her water intake by offering low sodium chicken broth. The flushing action of water helps with the infection and inflammation.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.