Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

13 yr old female shih tzu. woke up can't take in a full

Customer Question

13 yr old female shih tzu. woke up can't take in a full breath. Sounds like she's breathing underwater. Face & mouth all wet. What is wrong & what should I be doing to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Julie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Please let me know if you still need help. A 13 year old who doesn't appear to be able to take full breath is likely to be in congestive heart failure and needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. Her "face and mouth all wet" suggests the fluid that has accumulated in her lungfields and is now being brought up to her mouth by her distressed breathing.