Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog's chest is trembling and was just recently diagnosed

Customer Question

My dog's chest is trembling and was just recently diagnosed with high creatine, bun and phosphorus ( i have the numbers if you want them). Otherwise all her other numbers are in the normal range. She is 13. A few months ago she went after 2 coyotes and they attacked her -- only superficial wounds and a few stitches. After this trauma her appetite and energy and over-all health and well being greatly fell so I took her in to the vet who diagnosed her with kidney failure. Her numbers were somewhat high in April I am told ( i have those too) and then even higher in August. I have been successful in returning her somewhat to her normal happy and sweet energetic self with daily walks and changing her food to either home made ( organic) or of higher quality lean protein and fruit and vegetable dog food more kibble -- although this pooch was raised mostly on Natural Balance Organic Formula and in later years Orijen Senior formula. How can I tell if she is in pain or worse congestive heart failure
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?
Customer: I still don't know what is the cause of her kidney issues as the obvious offenders have been ruled out -- i.e., leptospirosis, lyme. I suspect a lifetime of frontline flea/tick and routine vaccinations might have put her in toxic overload besides long term dehydration from kibble from the above companies. Of course I didn't know any of this until I started my own recent research and have learned all about this stuff and how feeding your dog human grade whole food and/or the raw ancestral diet from high quality sources is the way to go. What do you think?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Well I just read some of your responses to the same question asked 3 years ago ( that is how I found this site by using the search words "dogs trembling kidney disease" -- and I hope and pray that it is not anything I need to rush her to the emergency room for! We are giving her subcutaneous 300 ml fluids every other day too.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am giving her the following organic herbal tinctures in the recommended doses hoping that it will help support her system: Brand Animal Essentials ( Detox Blend, Super Immune System) and Pet Apawthecaries (Tinkle Tonic) -- one half hour up to 2 hours before a meal, or 2 hours after a meal. She is also on Standard Process Renal Support and Epatakin phosphorus binder. What is a natural food or herb I can give for possible acid stomach or nausea? Her breath smells really acidic to me. She also sometimes licks her lips alot and shakes her head vigorously. Her trembling has calmed down now. It is not constant. Part of the day and evening she acts normal other times these symptoms occur.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wonder if any of the herbal supplements I am giving her might be detoxing her too fast or screwing with her ph. I am going to get results of her 3rd blood panel ( total health plus CHEM 27 W/SDMA) and urinalysis this week and hope that I will be able to get her bun, creatine and phosphorus levels down. The last test results are as follows Bun went from 137 to 146, Creatine 6.7 to 6.9 and phosphorus 7.0 to 7.5 Cholesterol is also rated high at 393, Sodium high at 154 and SDMA high (whatever that is) went from 45 to 51... finally cbc comprehensive HCT (whatever that is) is low at 34.6. All other number are in the normal range. Hope that helps
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am contemplating putting her on an even more strict home cooked and herbal regimen depending on her test results which I should hear from my vet later this week if they will approve of it-- either the regimen through or this guy whose dog was diagnosed with renal failure at 11 and lived to 18: Finally what do vets think of this treatment for humans would it work in dogs? My vet seems to think not:
Customer: replied 1 month ago. ( resending the link) for your consideration, opinion
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok goodnight looking forward to hearing from folks tomorrow or even tuesday
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I apologize that it's taken so long to hear back from us. Can you provide some additional info?

1) Can you please attach the blood work that you have available? There is an attachment function on the page.
2) What breed of dog is Zoey?
3) Are you seeing any symptoms that make you worry she's in pain or in CHF?
4) Has she had any thoracic x-rays performed recently?