Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

His tummy is red and his oenis looks a little swollen. He is

Customer Question

His tummy is red and his oenis looks a little swollen. He is licking the area a lot . He does not seem to want to urinate often .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie and he is twelve . He is a mix of a yorkie and something else (cute) were not sure
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: Other than the redness and swollen he seems fine. He does not have fleas and is groomed regularly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me.

I am currently working on my response to your question. It may take just a few minutes. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

If there is any visible swelling, absolutely, a vet visit by tomorrow is very important. I am also concerned there is already a secondary infection on the surface of the skin. So, I think Charlie would greatly benefit from the exam, possibly a course of antibiotics, and a steroid shot or some anti-inflammatory therapy to get the issue resolved.

The penis being inflamed may also suggest there is a prepucial infection (infection in the shealth where the penis retracts inside.

Definitely, got to stop the licking. Cone head. Anything. Until the vet visit. the licking will exacerbate the skin problems very very fast.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome.