Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

Well, I was away from home for about 19 hours and when I

Customer Question

well, I was away from home for about 19 hours and when I returned I noticed my 5lb pregnant Chihuahua had given birth to two still born pups.. one I could tell she had ate and the other was dead, not harmed and she was snuggling him. She still has what I'm guessing is a couple more pups in her and she is about a week to a week in a half early.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: little mama
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she's only had one litter before when she was a year old.. she had only two and everything went smoothly. She was much smaller, we didn't even know she was pregnant until a few hours before she gave birth. She's 6 now, and is much bigger then she was the first time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Little Mamma had stillborn pups tonight.

Can you cup your hand around her belly and squeeze very firmly? If it is at all hard or painful or you feel a swelling in there, then she likely has more puppies in her. If her abdomen is soft and there are no masses in her abdomen, her uterus is hopefully empty.

The problem in this situation is that if she has more fetuses, they are likely dead at this point as well. Dogs don't usually deliver dead feti and retain the healthy ones until full term pregnancy. They will retain the dead ones until the end of the pregnancy and deliver all the feti together.

If she has retained feti, the best option is for her to be examined tonight or first thing in the morning. The vet can use an ultrasound machine to see if they still have heart beats before deciding on treatments.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she's dozing off, should I be worried?

Sleeping after delivery is normal.

Were you able to palpate her abdomen to see if you feel any more feti in there?

Did you offer any food or water? Did she take it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I can feel two more... its been at lease 6 hours since I discovered the first two.. she ate food earlier but refused water.. its been awhile so I'm going to try and give her some more water
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she's getting up and burrowing now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she won't take any water

Okay. That is really good information. Thanks.

I would strongly consider taking her to the ER tonight. If that isn't possible, you need to take her in the morning. If there are dead feti still in there, she could develop a severe infection in her uterus that could kill her in a matter of days.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a chance they are alive.. I can kind of feel one moving around

Yes, there is a chance they are still alive. The best way to determine this is with ultrasound. If they are, your vet can prescribe safe antibiotics to prevent a uterus infection while she carries them to term. If they are not alive, then your vet can give oxytocin to help her deliver them.

I am getting ready to log off soon. I will check in tomorrow to see how your Little Mamma is doing.

Do you have any more questions tonight?

How is Little Mamma this morning? Did she pass any more fetal membranes or feti? Is she eating and drinking okay?

How is Little Mamma doing tonight? I have been worried about her today and hope she is okay. Please send an update.

Dr. Amanda