Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield
95952882

I have 9 puppies in which one is a runt. The runt sounds

Customer Question

I have 9 puppies in which one is a runt. The runt sounds congested a lot and has a pot belly. Today he vomited a bunch of milk. When he burps, he will cry for a few minutes and then it is so loud you can hear it two rooms over. What could be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 3 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Pulter. I am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

There are many things that could be wrong with your puppy. Here is a list of possible diagnoses based on your question - intestinal blockage, congenital malformation, parasites, infection, pain or something else. Tonight make sure your puppy is properly burped and stimulated to pee and poop if the mother does not do it. The puppy will need to be seen tonight or tomorrow as the most concerning possibility is an intestinal blockage which could cause life threatening illness. As a disclaimer the information provided is general and does not take the place of a physical exam, consultation and diagnosis done by your veterinarian on your pet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is stimulated by the mother and does burp. Do you think that after i worm him at 2 weeks old, it will help? He has been this way since being born.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What could be causing the congestion?

I definitely agree that you should worm at 2 weeks. Have you looked inside this puppy's mouth? Sometimes a cleft lip can cause milk to run into the nose to cause irritation and congestion, especially if this has been happening since birth.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I checked that a few days ago. No cleft palate. His congestion and coughing brother me the most. The other pups are fine but him.

I am sorry that this one is sick. He definitely needs more care and attention. Do you have a bulb syringe? You can try suctioning out some of the mucus and can also have him in a bathroom with some steam from a hot shower to help break up the mucus. You can check to see if he has a fever with a rectal thermometer (normal is 99-101).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will get one tomorrow. Do i suction nose and mouth? Also, what if all these are normal?

I would just suction the nose. I think if the temperature is normal it does not rule out infection or other issues with this puppy. Runt's tend to have lower immune systems and generally don't do as well as their counter parts. This puppy may need an exam sooner than his 2 week mark.