Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

Adopted dog yesterday morning. He tried to poop yesterday,

Customer Question

adopted dog yesterday morning. He tried to poop yesterday, but couldn't, he ate today, but still cant poop and vomits
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dexter, they said he's seven and hes a corgi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dexter?
Customer: Just the vomiting
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Dexter is having vomiting and diarrhea. Where did you adopt him from? Did they give him a clean bill of health at adoption? Are you feeding the same food the adoption people were feeding or did you change his food?

What does the vomit look like? Is he drinking excessive amounts of water between the vomiting? Is he having diarrhea? Sometimes straining is not constipation, but actually straining from diarrhea, but there is nothing left to come out.

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you and Dexter tonight.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he does not have diarrhea. He strains to poop but nothing comes out. He vomited about 5 times last night, mostly
fluid (dark), I fed him at 5pm today, and he started vomited about 9pm.

Is he drinking lots of water in between bouts of vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no not that I have noticed. His appetite is lackluster.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I fed him bill-jac dog food with some fresh-pet log
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got him at the city dog shelter, he tried to poop when we left. I asked them about it and they said he had
pooped earlier (not sure I believe that)

Okay. Thanks for the added information. That is really helpful.

First, did you change foods when you adopted him, or are you offering the same food the adoption agency was?

Have you tried home cooking for him to see if he is more interested in that?

For tonight, I would give him Pepcid, about 0.5mg per pound of body weight. Do not offer any food or water for at least 4 hours after the vomiting stops.

After the vomiting stops, you can offer small amounts of water (about 1/2 cup) about once every 30 minutes. If there is no vomiting by morning, you can offer him his normal breakfast, or try home cooking something bland like boiled chicken and rice or eggs and rice.

If he doesn't eat or drink by morning, you will need to consider taking him to the ER or your regular vet tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was constipated I believe when I picked him up, what can I do for that?

Constipation is actually very unusual in dogs, they are usually straining with diarrhea, but there is nothing left to come out.

Unfortunately, there are no good over the counter options to help relieve constipation in dogs. Human enemas are poisonous to dogs and can cause severe electrolyte imbalance.

Getting the dogs to eat something will almost always relieve the constipation by encouraging intestinal movement.

What other questions do you have?

How is Dexter this morning? Was he able to pass feces? How did it look? Is he eating and drinking normally?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda