Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Our Miniture Poodle is very lethargic and not moving much.

Customer Question

Our Miniture Poodle is very lethargic and not moving much. No appetite and seemed like he had a stomach upset. This is the holiday weekend and our Vet is closed. What should we do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me.

I am currently working on my response to your question. It may take just a few minutes. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

Well, my primary concern is that you are saying he is not moving much. That is a big red flag for me because it really suggests serious underlying pain or abdominal distress. Even if I were to suggest giving an antacid to try and help the stomach, I am very doubtful that is a safe course of action or sufficient therapy. It is okay to give a 1/4 tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg regular strength antacid, but I really vote for an emergency vet visit.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

An emergency vet can check the addomen, assess for fever, treat for possibe abdominal distress, etc...
I am just worried that he may be really uncomfortable all night long. Wish I could suggest more, but we don't know the severity. I hope that information is helpful.