Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

She just ate a 60 mg dexilant capsule. She weighs 14 pounds,

Customer Question

she just ate a 60 mg dexilant capsule. She weighs 14 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 4 years old. Geralt, Pomeranian
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Geralt?
Customer: totally healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Dexilant is a pretty safe drug with a wide safety margin, but your dog is small and that is a pretty high dose. It is very likely to cause some pretty severe intestinal upset. If the ingestion was recent I would recommend inducing vomiting and treating her with some activated charcoal. If we can get some of it out of her system so she gets a lower dose she should be fine.

Can you take her to a veterinarian to induce vomiting and treat her with activated charcoal? You can try to induce vomiting at home, but we do that with substances such as hydrogen perioxide that induce vomiting by irritating the stomach lining. I think that might further compound the problems with the delilant.