Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Thanks for your question regarding your Bichon who at a protein bar. Were there any nuts in this bar? What sort of chocolate was this? Milk or dark? How many ounces was the bar? How much of that would have been chocolate? Did he eat the wrapper as well?
I will wait to hear from you.
Hi again,Thanks for your prompt reply. Luckily the ingredients in the protein bar are mostly non-toxic to dogs. The only issue is the chocolate component of the bar, but even if this was 1.5 ounces of pure milk chocolate, your boy would still be fine and we wouldn't expect any symptoms in a 14 pound dog. The other ingredients in the bar aren't toxic, but he could develop a little GI upset after this ingestion (unlikely, but potentially vomiting and diarrhea). For this reason, start your boy on a bland diet tonight. For this cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is ideal, and you could feed that for a couple of days. The ingestion of the protein bar won't interfere with his antibiotics he is on.
I hope this gives you some peace of mind. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
How is Leo doing now? Hopefully he is his usual self, or if not, I hope you managed to get him checked over. Let me know how you get on when you get a moment.