Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

He is throwing up. Last night five times and today three

Customer Question

He is throwing up. Last night five times and today three times. He has gone poop. Looks to be some mucus and I think I'm seeing tissues.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: shih Tzu
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes. A dog.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I think he ate some Kleenx.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he just turned two.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jeter?
Customer: No. I just need to know if his problem can wait until his vet is open tomorrow.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Shih Tzu boy Jeter. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 3 - 4 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Jeter this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. The Kleenex would likely break up pretty quickly in his GI tract, but if this vomiting continues, we would have to consider whether they could be causing a partial obstruction in his bowel. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local after hours vet later on today. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over now.

For now, make sure Jeter has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the later this evening now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting this afternoon, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As he has vomited three times today now, he is likely feeling nauseous. As such, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: . The bland diet mentioned above will hopefully help to settle the mucus like poop you are seeing. If he did eat the kleenx, then these should be pooped out over the next day or two.

Best of luck with Jeter and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc