Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 4 month old puppy swallowed a raw hide chewy stick. It

Customer Question

My 4 month old puppy swallowed a raw hide chewy stick. It was soft aND slimy and he is sowing no distress or discomfort
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Beauregard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beauregard?
Customer: Brussels Griffon pup, 9.5 lbs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily this should be metabolized by the intestinal tract but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have him evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed 2 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion. This can be just about the backyard with his age to minimize exposure

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching but again this should be digested by the intestinal tract.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I hope you were able to view my responses earlier and your dog is doing well.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman