Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog was chewing a bone and I believe a piece broke and is

Customer Question

My dog was chewing a bone and I believe a piece broke and is stuck. She keeps throwing up and not sure what do to
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I can see but the bone she was eating broke in razor pieces
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Snow and she's 3. And beige chow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snow?
Customer: She's very healthy so no. That's very uncommon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the material can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction and help push this through the esophagus if it is stuck but if the vomiting is not subsiding in the next hour it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own. Again if the vomiting is not subsiding please seek medical attention as this can do quite a bit of damage if passing through the intestinal tract indicated by the continued vomiting

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Snow feeling since you asked your question? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!