petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My dogs meet a porcupine the have quills in mouth I live to

Customer Question

My dogs meet a porcupine the have quills in mouth I live to fat from town what can I give to put them to sleep so I can pull them out I am a pretty good nurse si I can HELP
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pets today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

I am sorry to tell you but there is nothing available over the counter that will safely or effectively sedate or anesthetize them so you can do this at home. Even in a clinic setting, this is usually done under general anesthesia so that a thorough evaluation of the site can be done and all of the quills removed. This can be a challenge as some are hard to see. On top of that, after the procedure, you would want to have pain medications prescribed as the dogs will be very uncomfortable. It would be in their best interest to drive to town to seek veterinary care for them. This can be a difficult procedure even for a staff that has had experience with it.

I would advise you not give any over the counter pain meds that you may have access to as most are not safe for use in dogs.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?