Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

He is i pain he is an 8 lb poodle, 13 yrs old who has a hip

Customer Question

he is i pain he is an 8 lb poodle, 13 yrs old who has a hip wired back , he is having issues so i gave him 1/8 a tablet of rimadyl 75 mg. it has helprd him some but his is in pain and i notticed his penis is a little enlarged and i am thinking he may have a prostate problim going on. I was going to give him some clindrops 1 ml incase he has an infection starting. just till i can get him too my vet monday or tuesday. He has no fever and he is eating, and peeing and pooping normally and has no fever 102. Was afraid to give him the antibiotic with the rimadyl. He crys out and jumps and then trys to get comfortable again. not acting like arthritis now.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Boogs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boogs?
Customer: He had that hip wired together after an accident 11 years ago and has done remarkable well concidering his age.. he is holding that leg up now and cannot get comfotable, but I am concerned with him having the prostate issue now. he is still intact. he does cry an whine and has done that all night
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. With his holding the leg up now, it is likely that the pain is associated with the prior injury. With surgical implants, there is always the likelihood of implants moving years later and causing pain.

The Rimadyl at that dose should be okay twice daily. I would also give him Pepcid AC 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight once daily to make sure he does not get sick to his stomach with it. Boogs should be seen by your veterinarian as soon as they open so that they can X-ray his leg and pelvis. I would not give the clindamycin because it is not certain that he needs it and using it now may interfere with any diagnostics at your local vet. If you feel like his discomfort is severe, then I would take him to an emergency clinic this weekend for additional pain medications.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill