Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield

My dog is eight years old. I've been treating her with

Customer Question

My dog is eight years old. I've been treating her with Frontline Plus every month for the last eight years. She now has flee infestation. I took her to our vet. We've treated her with a flee bath, bombed the house and vacuumed everything. We treated her with topical Frontline Plus on August 24. The dog is scratching again. I have s flee comb and I applied it where she wad scratching. Tons of eggs are dd on the dog, I have NexGuard can I give her the. NexGuard today?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am Dr. Pulter. I will help you with your question today. It seems that you are using a topical flea product to control fleas on your dog and in your environment. You are wondering if you can give the Nexguard today even though you have applied the Frontline.

What I like to do and what seems to work the best is in animals that tend to have environments that have a lot of fleas we use a topical and an oral medication. I like to separate the oral medication from the topical medication by 3 weeks. That way you get continuous control of the fleas, without having to worry about any one product wearing off. I think it would be ok to use Nexguard and topical frontline together for this purpose.

Sometimes I will see fleas resistant to frontline, unfortunately. Have you tried a different topical medication?

Hi Jerrilyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ali Berry. How is everything going?

Dr. Chelsea Pulter