Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She's favoring her left back leg Won't put weight on it,

Customer Question

She's favoring her left back leg Won't put weight on it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Giving her tramadol and carprofen
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie 10 yr shepherd
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: No otherwise good health
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Can she put any weight on it, even for a moment?

Does she have normal feeling in the leg?

Any history of a fall or trauma?

Was she on the Tramadol and Carprofen before this started? What dose and what is her weight?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We were playing yesterday...a bit more than usual. When I woke this morning she was favoring it. I pesumed my old girl had too much exercise. When I 43rd from work...symptoms much worse and weaker. I seconded doses tramadol and started carprofen. I can do basic range of motion bending left foot to hip withno wimper. Weight is an issue and balance now no priors
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Returned from work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She let's be ice hip and knee....can massage entire leg no whimpers
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Me not be....sorry
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
100 mg tramadol=12 hr
75 mg carprofen=12 hrs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

How far apart were your Tramadol doses?

What is Maggie's weight?

What doses are you giving?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As RX from dr....85 lbs
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
EACH Every 12 Hrs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

That is fine, but can you tell me the milligrams so that I can assess if there is any wiggle room on the dose?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I can now see it posted (seems there was an odd site delay) and will finish my fully reply for you.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Now given her signs and her comfort with your examination, we’d be less worried about sinister issues like hip dislocation or spinal damage. Furthermore, if she has no change to leg sensation, nerve issues would also be less of a concern. This leaves tendon damage or muscle strains/sprains.

Now the reason I asked about the doses she is on was to determine if we can better manage this lameness for her. Right off the bat if she is on Tramadol every 12 hours, this can be increased to every 8 hours. As well, if she is on 100mg each time that is only a 2.6 mg/kg dose and she can have up to 200mg (though it could make her a bit drowsy). So, this could be adjusted even if her Carpofren cannot be. Furthermore, instead of icing, we can warm compress the leg. This tends to be better for reducing inflammation and is easier on underlying stiff joints (so very common at her age). And since there is likely a degree of arthritis playing a role here, you could also start OTC joint supplements (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 fish oils, Duralactin) to help increase her overall joint mobility as we reduce the discomfort that is triggering these signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok...gottit...she has been on MSM for last three weeks....will chg ice to heat...and pain to 8 Hrs...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

That sound perfect and the MSM can be continued too. Hopefully, we can just get this settled and help get her back to using that leg comfortably.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks a bunch!!
Elder yrs need maintenance
I'm on it.....gotta keep my girl comfortable!!����
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear

They do, but are very worth it. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
U are the BEST!!
Muah...muah
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Awwh, cheers ***** ***** :)

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )