Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have been told my dog has bronchitis and she is on

Customer Question

I have been told my dog has bronchitis and she is on antibiotics and prednisone she still has a awful hacking cough that plagues her 24 hours a day every few minutes which results in her dry reaching without vomit and gagging although she is an 11-year-old she is normally full of life and still think she's a puppy there must be something else that we can try to beat this cough please any advice taken seriously and willing to try just about anything to make a girl better
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had this cough?

What tests has her vet done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's had the cough for 5 weeks.
She has only had X-rays . The X-ray showed 2 quite large masses in her lungs with one of them putting pressure on her heart..
Roxy is still showings good signs of life so we want to get her cough controll.
Thanks again
Chrissi Bree
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that she hasn't responded to treatment for bronchitis if that was her vet's diagnosis but also concerned to hear that masses were found in the lungs (and not just enlarged lymph nodes near them). This isn't a feature of bronchitis and is more often seen with cancer to fungal lung infections. Therefore, if large masses were seen in her lungs, then you'd want to ring her vet about their findings. If either of these additional concerns are present, then this can change her prognosis and how we treat.

Otherwise, if you did mean they were near the lungs and were thought to be her lymph nodes, then we'd be concerned that the bronchitis could be due to a bacteria resistant to the antibiotics tried. This means we may need to try an alternative one but otherwise may need to think about having an airway sample tested to tell us what bacteria is present and what drugs it is vulnerable to (thus ensuring we treat this as effectively as possible). And at the same time, you could have her vet try a bronchodilator (ie Theophylline) +/- an antitussive (ie Codeine) to open her airways, ease her breathing, and help with this cough.

Finally, just until you can speak to them, you can try to reduce and soothe this cough with a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.