Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My bulldog is 16 and he just had a seizure it lasted about 5

Customer Question

My bulldog is 16 and he just had a seizure it lasted about 5 min and he lost his bodily functions. What do I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Apollo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Apollo?
Customer: His whole body became stiff
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Apollo. You needn't do anything unless he seizes once again. Should Apollo suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Unfortunately, brain tumor is the most common cause of a seizure in a 16 year old bulldog and preventing more seizures can be a challenge. In most cases, a vet will recommend that you mark your calendar for this event and if you see another seizure within 30 days, an anticonvulsive drug such as phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamide might be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Dr. Salkin could it be a stroke? He lost his fluids and now sitting and licking his nose non stop

Thank you for the additional information.

Possibly, but strokes usually cause a profound mentation (mental status) change such as obtundation and coma. We can see seizures in conjunction with strokes, however. He appears to have suffered a severe complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) or a general seizure (previously called gran mal) if he lost consciousness. Please continue our conversation if you wish.