Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Josie is a pekapoo, she is 12years. This is the first seizer

Customer Question

Josie is a pekapoo, she is 12years. This is the first seizer she's had in 2 years it lasted about 4 min. She still doesn't walk right and it been 14 hours is there anything I can do. I called the vet and she said at the time she has a seizer there is something but not later. She is not on any medication.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Pekanees and poodle cross
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there is not, her whole back in is not walking normal
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the?
Customer: No is just taking so long for her to recover this time. She's never had one that lasted this long before or the side affects.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with her. Her vet was correct. Drug therapy at the time after a seizure isn't of value unless my patient is still seizing. That would constitute status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. You're seeing a long post-ictal (post-seizure) period. When this occurs we need to be concerned that enough brain damage has occurred due to the seizure that she may not be able to recover function in her legs. That scenario can also occur secondary to strokes which may cause seizure or vice-versa. For now, it's best to keep her as quiet as possible and encourage (enforce) rest even if she needs to be confined. We have to avoid her harming herself stumbling around ataxic (like a "drunken sailor").

May I have an update on her please?