Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Dog deep hacking and vomiting clear liquid, No, Tibbi and

Customer Question

Dog deep hacking and vomiting clear liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tibbi and she's 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tibbi?
Customer: No...she ate tonight around 5 and no food has come up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following, you can then expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

1. How long has Tibbi been showing these symptoms?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since today at 3pm
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you there

Sure, still here. I am just starting to type out your answer, this will take me ten minutes of so ...

Please stand by,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Tibbi is unwell, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

Having read your question through I have to say that from my past experience I would not be at all surprised if your dog has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching and hacking like that like that other diagnosis are certainly possible especially in an older dog like Tibbi. However as kennel cough would be a front runner I will go into a little more detail.

Kennel cough is a very common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease. The expected symptoms would be as follows.

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have, a bit like a seal honk!

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. If kennel cough is the diagnosis then it is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly. For this reason my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are possible. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to make her more comfortable on a home remedy basis in the meantime.

5. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but because there are a number of other forms vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease.

6. Here is a link for more information on this disease : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tibbi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect kennel cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?