Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

What is the treatment for a ccl injury in a dog that cannot

Customer Question

what is the treatment for a ccl injury in a dog that cannot have surgery? Will a brace help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

I'll compose an answer and be right back.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

Braces are not as easy as, will work and won't work. They will help stabilize the knee, they will make it easier to walk but they won't fix the problem. The knee will still be more painful long term than if the surgery was done and there will be no slowing the arthritis that is forming with the brace that is what surgery dose. However it does relieve a little pain and will help her walk better. In cases where surgery is not an option then bracing with proper continued pain medication is needed. The key is the over the counter braces don't work very well in most cases. The custom made braces like those from hero braces ( are going to be needed to do any good at all. There are other companies but the key is custom bracing built specifically for Chia in addition to proper pain control will likely improve her quality of life and mobility considerably. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan