Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog may have consumed a small amount of Roundup in the

Customer Question

My dog may have consumed a small amount of Roundup in the rim of a sprayer and then when I grabbed the sprayer it spilled on the ground and she licked that before I could stop her.
She is a Labrador Retriever - will be 9 months on Sept. 13 and is about 45 pound.
It wasn't a lot .
I tried to get her to drink water with a hose.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

It very unlikely that Abby will be in trouble. Glycophosphate (RoundUp) is considered to be of very low toxicity to dogs. In fact, no toxic effects were observed in a chronic feeding study with dogs fed up to 500 mg/kg/day. That doesn't mean, however, that less serious side effects won't be seen such as lethargy, anorexia, hypersalivation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Clinical signs usually appear within 2 hours and can persist for 24 hours post-ingestion. Abby's prognosis is excellent, however.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Rita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?