petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

She's pooping worms. roundworms i believe, guadalupe.

Customer Question

she's pooping worms. roundworms i believe
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: guadalupe. 10weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about guadalupe?
Customer: just that i have young children and would like to know how likely it is for humans to contract them
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Are the worms you are seeing long and thin like a strand of spaghetti or are they short and blunt like a piece of rice?

Are they in the stool itself or are they by the rectum itself?

Has Guadalupe been seen by a vet yet or dewormed by a vet?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
like spaghetti, in the stool. she has not yet been seen by a vet but is scheduled to see one on tuesday. i'm also concerned as she has had a lot of exposure to my 2 young children over the last couple of weeks and our other adult dog. could my other dog or children catch this?
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, that sounds like roundworms which are quite common in puppies and they acquire them when nursing on the mom dog. The worms themselves are not contagious as it is the eggs that are. The eggs are not infectious right away so even if they happened to touch fresh stool, that is not a problem. What is the biggest concern are eggs that have laid around in the stool in the yard and have had a chance to develop and become contagious. Yard clean up is the best way to keep pets and children safe as well as having both dogs on a monthly intestinal parasite prevention like Heartgard or Sentinal.

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Here are a few links with very useful information:

LINK 1

LiNK 2

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if the piles have been getting picked up every few days for the last 3 weeks that she has been living with us and my girls have been out playing in the yard during that time are there any concerns?
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

The eggs are in feces are not infective for about 30 days, so if picking up every few days, you should be safe. You need to make sure that the girls are washing their hands after playing outside as well. The main route of infection is picking up the eggs in the environment (dirt and grass) and then putting contaminated fingers in their mouth.