Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We have two Pomeranian dogs. The maie has had the most skin

Customer Question

We have two Pomeranian dogs. The maie has had the most skin problems. Scabs form on his back and legs like he had been injured and is healing. He itches all of the time. I know he has mites of some kind in one ear, and I have been putting Olive oil in it. I have used baby sjhampoo, oatmeal dog shampoo, no soap shampoo, and many other shjampoos. Does not seem to make much difference. I bathe both dogs oncr a week. The femail does not smell bad after a week, but the male has an order on the 3rd day. We live ona arm with a lot of animals, but the dogs really do not ineract with the other animals. We have an inside cat who we feel priority one cat food. The small female dog gets into her food quite a bit, but not the male. We do feed both dogs meat scraps fro the table, but very little fat.. We feed all of our dogs Priority one dry dog food chicken and rice. The vet always puts Max on antibiotics both spray and pills. I have rubbed them down with olive oil, coconut oil which seemed to help for a day or so.. any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on feet, but now tat I look, Max is getting some sore under each arm pit, and has back dirt tpe areas much like he did a few years ago when they had fleas. I do not see aly flees though.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: he is fixed, about 10 years old, golden long hair, 10 lbs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Max. Before I post my synopsis of the itchy dog for you, please tell me how Max has responded to the topical and systemic antibiotics in the past.