Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has blood in her urine. No fever but cries when she

Customer Question

She has blood in her urine. No fever but cries when she jumps off the couch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Betty 2 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Betty?
Customer: she has been very healthy. Got out of house and when she came back she was different lethargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Betty. In the great majority of cases, hematuria (blood in the urine) in a young female will be found to be due to a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI). I'm concerned, however, that she got out of the house and may have been traumatized causing bleeding somewhere in her urinary tract (kidney trauma, ruptured bladder, e.g) and the pain you're seeing when she jumps off the couch. This is a patient I wouldn't wait to ultrasound her urinary tract and obtain urine for a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of infection - the presence of bacteria and/or elevated numbers of either red or white blood cells.

When did she get out of the house, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yesterday

Thank you. Are you seeing other evidence of infection - an increased frequency of urinating little or no urine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, but she is not eating and drinking very little

Thank you. That's more indicative of trauma, then. You're looking at a long weekend ahead of you. I encourage your having Betty attended to at your earliest convenience. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What can i do until tues. we have no emergency vets here?

You're necessarily constrained to providing pain relief for Betty in form of aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily or acetaminophen (Tylenol) dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?