Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Took our dog to vet about 2 days ago. Was for a check up and

Customer Question

Took our dog to vet about 2 days ago. Was for a check up and the day before the appointment she was vomiting and sick. Vet checked her and found no noticeable problem. Gave her the kennel cough medicine but no shots were due. She is very lethargic and shaking and no response to food, or going for a ride (which she loves) and just sits there staring off into the wall. Vet advised we give her famotidine tablet and cut 10mg tab in half which we did for two nights so far. This morning she did go to bathroom and urinated and pooped.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: 6 yr old shitzu and always friendly wanting attention. We feed her about 1/2 can dog food a day from Costco. Checked the dog food can and expiration date is over a year away. Can't believe she ingested anything poisonous because we are with her when she goes outside.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got your message. We have called in town vet and taking dog for appointment in next 30 minutes. Do you have any idea what's going on.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

I would be most suspicious of a possible gastroenteritis (inflammed GI tract) or pancreatitis. Also in small dogs, a bulging or ruptured verterbral disc and present with symptoms similar to this.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

An examination and possible xray +/- blood work is definitely in order. I am glad you are taking her in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thank you for helping us. We are leaving soon to take her to vet. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks again. Signing off now
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome. Good luck with her.