Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I fed my rat terier to much cheese and now she lost her

Customer Question

I fed my rat terier to much cheese and now she lost her apitite and has tried to vomit about 6 times in 24 hours. Will this pass?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she have all this cheese?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, distension, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She had the cheese yesterday and the day before, she can keep water down she just doesn't want to drink that much and doesn't want to eat anything, her gums are pink and moist. She is not showing any signs of discomfort when I push on her belly, maybe a little tense.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now in this situation, we do have a few concerns. We can see gut upset from overindulgence in food like cheese, but since it is quite fatty there is also a risk of pancreatitis. Both could put her off food and cause the nausea you have reported.

Now mild cases of either usually will pass on their own, but if Shivers is feeling poorly then we'd want to take some steps to soothe her. To start, you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start tempting her with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, we often see gut upset with overindulgence in foods like cheese, but can also see pancreatitis in these situations. Though if mild, the above will help with both concerns. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle Shivers. Though if she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration and start injectable anti-nausea medication +/- fluids if need be to settle this and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )