Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Potentially what would cause a 13.5 yr old hound mix

Customer Question

Potentially what would cause a 13.5 yr old hound mix generate hick ups and when finished cause a single dry heave. Seen this happen for short periods of time and then last night went on for more than 15 minutes. Also, dog is agitated. Can not settle or make her self comfortable. She is spayed. Suggestions?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr Hill It sounds like Shatzi may be trying to throw up and is dry heaving just before a final gag. This is typically due to a gastrointestinal irritant or pancreatitis. Has she had any high fat treats, meats, cheese or marrow bones recently? Could she have ingested foreign material?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has not ingested anything with the exception of her regular food. No cheese or marrow bones also. Meats only those contained in her food (Purina dog Chow and Purina ONE). No fatty treats also. Will be bringing her in for a full checkup. Had her now about three weeks with little or no problems. Previous history is sketchy at best just like her previous diet. I will have more info shortly. Note: when she was adopted, a full blood panel was done and all seemed normal according to my vet.

If possible, can you post a short video of the episodes. It can be difficult to discern between a cough with a terminal retch or dry heaving. Is she breathing any faster than normal? I would withhold food and water for at least a few hours and see if she is able to settle down. You can also safely give Pepcid AC 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight to try and settle her stomach. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I lost my internet for about an hour.