Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She has some kind of infection around her nail and i have

Customer Question

She has some kind of infection around her nail and i have some antibiotics here at the house. Our vet is on vacation for 2 weeks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is around the nail and its hurting her to walkūüėĘ
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CeCe?
Customer: Shes 13 and is a pit/dalmation mix.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with CeCe. Can you upload a photo(s) of this digit to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.

A bacterial paronychia (nail bed infection) often secondary to nail damage, fungal infection, autoimmune skin disease, and neoplasia (cancer) are all important considerations at her age.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She wont let me get a picture of it. Ive been trying to since you asked.

I understand. You can return to our conversation at your convenience. Which antibiotic do you have available for CeCe, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Clindamycin 150mg or Cefuroxime 500mg

Oral dosage for cefuroxime haven't been established in dogs and so clindamycin would be my choice at a dose of 5 mg/lb once daily until her vet can take a look at her. Adverse effects include gastroenteritis (emesis, loose stools, and infrequently, blood diarrhea in dogs). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?