Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

This is a real convo? Um... Ok, Well we moved into a house

Customer Question

This is a real convo?
JA: I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Um... Ok
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Well we moved into a house with hardwood floors about a year ago. He is a large breed Over the course of the year, he has developed difficulty sitting and has a hard time getting up from a lying position
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He limps when he gets up to walk. And when given a command to stand up, sometimes he doesnt
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Well I'm just wondering if this something potentially serious or whether the floor is the cause
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Which breed and how old is he, please? Which legs appears to be affected when he limps?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Btw he is a 5 yr old cane corso
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The rear left leg seems the most affected
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He does lay on that one most of the time as well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Before we moved into the house, he had absolutely no problems. Now he refuses to stand in his hind legs, he can't sit properly. Sometimes when he tries to get up he falls right back down

Thank you. All of these symptoms point to his hips - hip dysplasia. The flooring isn't responsible but doesn't give a painful dog enough traction to rise from it without quite a bit of effort. His vet will want to perform flexion and extension tests on your Cane Corso's hind legs paying particular attention to his hips. Expect X-rays to be recommended - not only of his hips but also cauda equina - the most caudal (toward his tail) portion of his spine where osteoarthritic changes can cause symptoms similar to those of hip dysplasia. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I've been gone for a year due to military duties. I usually walked him everyday but he didn't receive the same amount of exercise since I've been gone. It really did seem to help. But I will definitely call our vet next week to schedule something. I'm very sad to know he may have hip displasia. I do know it's inherited but... I'm really hoping that isn't the case with him.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help Dr. Salkin

I understand. While we wouldn't be able to correct a dysplasia or remove osteoarthritic changes in joints or spinal column, we can palliate symptoms with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), narcotic analgesia, and neutraceuticals.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do

I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?