Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

My 9 year old schnoodle suddenly became lethargic and

Customer Question

my 9 year old schnoodle suddenly became lethargic and refuses to eat. blood test came back normal. PLT at 81 and ALB at 4. vet could not find any reason. Possibilities?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. With low platelets and lethargy, my main concern is immune mediated throbocytopenia (low platelets). This can be primary which means that the immune system just started destroying the body's platelets or it can be secondary (platelet destruction due to an underlying disease). Treatment consists of suppressing the immune system to allow the platelet counts to improve. With a platelet count of 81,000 Sparkey is at risk for bleeding. You would typically see small bruises on the skin, gums or blood in the stool or urine. Depending on what part of the country you are in, there are different infectious diseases. I am in New England and tick born diseases are a common secondary cause. Please ask follow up questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his stool sample came back negative we live in Ann Arbor Michigan
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his K is 3.4,his pct is.1, his final albumin is 4.7, MCV is 75.6, RDW 23.7. MCH 26.3 PDW20.6

So, you don't see the types of tick born disease that we do in New England. Sparkey should have his PCV (packed cell volume) and platelet count done again to make sure that they are not decreasing.

Hi Kathleen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sparkey. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill