Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog eats massive amounts of grass and comes in house and

Customer Question

My dog eats massive amounts of grass and comes in house and throws it up. She licks her lips and becomes frantic to go
Outside
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My dog eats massive amounts of grass then throws it up in house. She licks her lips and becomes frantic to go out
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now all of the signs you have reported are ones we often see with nausea in dogs. In regards ***** ***** causes of nausea for Elsa herself, we can see this with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). As well, in older dogs, it is possible to see these types of signs secondary to IBD, organ issues (ie kidney, liver, etc) and metabolic disease.

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing for Elsa. Probiotics can help normalize gut bacteria in mild bacterial induced upsets but this won't help her nausea. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since she is older and we don't want to risk dehydration); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check bloods to ensure her organs are working as they should, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the information. The episodes are so erratic that I don't think she has an infection. But she definitely is nauseous. When she threw up Friday night it was after I had given her leftover pizza and I noticed the grass was greasy looking. I will not feed her anymore table scraps. I guess if it continues I'll take her to Vet even though she seems perfectly normal otherwise.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If it has been erratic, then a low grade infection is still quite possible. But if you have been giving her rich food items like pizza, then that would be a top suspect. So, I am glad you are planning to stop the table scraps but do also start the above supportive care to help her settle. And if she cannot with those, then a check up would be ideal since often they will hide illness until its advanced and thus a normal dog isn't necessarily a healthy one.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )