Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of experience in small animal medicine
95161809

Why is my dog having dark red bloody diarrhea? She started

Customer Question

Why is my dog having dark red bloody diarrhea? She started doing this after a bad thunder storm while she was out of her anxiety meds. I cant take her to the vet til in the morning. I need to know the cause of this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 3 months ago.

Hi there ,

this is Dr. Levinson

If your dog is usually on anti anxiety meds, esp for noise phobias like thunder storms and she was out of her meds, more than likely the bloody diarrhea is secondary to what's called a stress colitis.

Her stress actually brings on the inflammation of the colon or large bowel.

Is she still acting normal or lethargic? Is she still eating and drinking?

If not, i'd get her over to an emergency hospital tonight rather than waiting until the morning so that at least she can get some IV fluids and not dehydrate.

There can be many causes for bloody stool including:

gi parasites

bacteria/virus

stress

tumors

IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)/food allergies

a foreign body

but given her history a stress colitis is most likely.

I would NOT feed her for 12 hours to allow her gi tract a rest and then try the bland diet of the boiled rice/chicken. a little pedialyte is fine. It looks like you're already doing what you should as far as the diarrhea is concerned.

If she is not lethargic and still drinking on her own. if she did readily eat the chicken and rice you gave her and if her gums are still pink and not pale or white, then I wouldn't worry until tomorrow morning and then get her in to see your vet.

If your vet thinks it's something MORE than stress colitis they may want to do a fecal test, bloodwork--to rule out any systemic disease, or even take x-rays.

I hope this answers your question. I know it is alarming but I also know that you seem to be doing a good job in already starting treatment for the diarrhea.