Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

Everytime I leave my husband home alone w my Chihuahua when

Customer Question

Everytime I leave my husband home alone w my Chihuahua when i come home her pussy is swelled up & leaking clear fluid. She acts timid & scared. She's too old to get in heat anymore. She's fine w me & I think he's rubbing her pussy to get her in heat & turn her on. Her tant is swelled too. Is that what's going on
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. What is this girl's name? Do you feel that she's urinating more frequently or leaving urine where she's sleeping? How is she acting now? I would hope that this is a medical issue that is going on. Could she have a urinary tact infection or other issue there? Could she have some separation anxiety when you are gone and she's licking herself to cause this irritation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No she pees fine. I kno what I'm talking about it's only when i leave her alone w my husband. She's never like that when we all leave & come back home.

Have you directly asked your husband about this? I would hope that this again isn't going on. How long after you get home does it take for things to get back to normal?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
38; he denies it. I want to kno if he rubs her can this happen. He's perverted about dogs & I have told him to stop talking shit about dogs be. This has happened 3 times b4. She's still not normal. Her shit is swelled up & leaking like I'm from her.

Ok. One thing that has to be known here is that she's not to old to go into a heat cycle. Dogs will cycle continuously as they don't have a menopause. So could she actually be going into heat when these things happen? If she's having a discharge that isn't smelling well, then the concern arises that she may have an infection in her uterus called a pyometra. This is something that is very serious. If she isn't eating well at this time, if she's drinking more, if she's acting dumpy - then this situation is one that I would be very concerned for.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No listen I kno my dog there is nothing wrong w her like that. She eats fine & drinks fine. U r avoiding my question. My dog is not sick & no she's not having spells like that. I want to kno if he rubs her to a point will she b like this. & it's not a discharge it's clear slime like our pursues u kno. I'm not dumb & I kno her doing this. It never happens unless her home alone w her. I want him to take a lie detector test that's how much I believe what I'm saying.

The vulva typically doesn't become engorged with physical rubbing. It isn't something that is pleasurable to a dog per se. Hormonally that is when the vulva will become engorged. It requires physical changes in her hormones to cause the area to become swollen.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was not like this when u left & she never gets in heat if he rubbed her long enough to her her off then the hormones r brought up in her. He's had 8 hours w her. I kno he done this bc her done it b4 to her & our other dog & the other dog has been spayed. She has no reason for her stuff to get like that. I'm not stupid. My dog is my baby & I kno her inside & out & this was brought on by him rubbing her stuff.

I'm going to opt out of this question to see if any other experts are able to give their opinion on this.

Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help. Given the history you present, trauma could cause swelling of the vulva tissues as well. Your best bet is to take her to a vet when this happens and ask for a vaginal cytology. If there is inflammation or sperm, that gives you an answer. There are certain cells that are present when a dog is going into heat and your vet should be able to identify those. Sexual abuse of pets does occur, sadly/ and I do not want you to ignore your concerns, nor do I want you to accuse your husband if he is innocent. Unfortunately without a hands on physical of your dog, I cannot be certain.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm saying that he is rubbing her cuchie & pulling her bottom 2 nipples until he gets her off. She's got 2 bad bruises & knots at her nipples & them 2 r bigger than the other ones. This has happened 3 times b4 when she was left alone w him. She never gets like this any other time. I keep very close watch of her all the time. She is 16 years old & seldomly gets in heat. When i got w my husband he always talked about dogs in a perverted way & we argued plenty of times about this. I have caught him patting their asses & getting a hard on b4. Things r not good between us & this is one of te reasons

Dogs to not "get off" the way we do. She acts like that because she is traumatized and abused and does not understand what is happening to her. Dogs do not "enjoy" sexual relations like humans and primates.

The only way to know for certain is to set up a camera. There is no way forensically for me to tell you for certain that this is happening. I believe you, but if you are in need of actual evidence, you will have to video it or have a vaginal cytology done.

You need to remove her and any children from his presence immediately, even if that means re-homing your dog.