Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog ate a 3"x5" plastic coated gauze pad, Dodger 4 years,

Customer Question

My dog ate a 3"x5" plastic coated gauze pad
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dodger 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dodger?
Customer: He has epilepsy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What was the gauze coated with?

2- How long has it been since he swallowed it?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was coated with a saran wrap type plastic. He swallowed it about an hour ago. He weighs 65 lb and yes I have peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, the concern would be a possible obstruction by the gauze. For this reason, I would recommend you try to induce vomiting with peroxide. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the gauze in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the gauze in the feces. Make sure you check the stool for the gauze, if you don't find it within 48 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian.

4- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter