Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Her tummy feels hard and she's grunting a lot, almost

Customer Question

Her tummy feels hard and she's grunting a lot, almost whining. She won't drink water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Missy. She is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missy?
Customer: She is shaking a little. Everything was fine last night. I'm at work right now and my daughter just got home and found her this way.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to learn Missy is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea, or coughing?

2- Did she get into anything?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is she able to walk?

5- What breed is she?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea that my daughter has noticed. She was crated when we left the house this morning so she shouldn't have gotten into anything, unless it happened before we left and didn't notice. There's not pre existing conditions that I'm aware of. She walks, but she's slow. She is a chihuahua/terrier mix.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Can she take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Can she take her rectal temperature?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She says they are pale. We don't have anything to take her temp with. She's just went to her bed and is laying there.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry that Missy is not feeling well, I know this must be very stressful for your daughter and yourself not knowing what is happening. The symptoms that Missy is showing are consistent with being in pain (shaking, slow walking, tense abdomen, etc.). The main source of the pain could be within the abdomen or back (spinal cord); common causes are: A pinched nerve, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. Less likely we can also see these symptoms when the patient has a fever (infection).

As you can see from the above list there are many possible diseases that can cause the symptoms that Missy is showing. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what your daughter can do at home. Treatment for Missy would be dependent on knowing the exact cause. For example, if this is related to a pinched nerve she will need prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medication. My other concern is her gums being pale, this could be a sign of anemia, blood shifting to other organs, poor circulation, etc.

I know you were probably hoping to find a solution to Missy's problem on this site. But, based on Missy's symptoms, unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend that is going to have a significant therapeutic benefit. I would strongly recommend having her checked today by the nearest veterinarian for a hands-on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. I realize that this answer may not be to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter