Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Was not expecting a popup window! My neighbor has a very

Customer Question

Hello, was not expecting a popup window! My neighbor has a very large Ficus trees which has branches over our yard that produces 100's of 'berries' a day My dog eats them, has eaten them He is a 65 lbs Choc. Lab and is now not eating well and has a soft stool...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cocoa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cocoa?
Customer: No, I am trying to find the reasons for the change in appetite and stool thinking the Ficus tree fruit, 'berries' may be it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we can see signs of gut upset and soft stools for a range of reasons, but if Cocoa has been eating these berries then that could be our culprit. Plant material including the berries from the Ficus are known to cause gut irritation (appetite loss, vomiting, and diarrhea) in dogs. Therefore, you will want to have your neighbor cut this tree back and you will need to remove his access to these berries.

Furthermore, we can start some supportive care to try and soothe Cocoa's stomach. ind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

As well, since his stools sound just loose and not full blown diarrhea, you can consider adding canned pumpkin to the light diet to bulk up his stools. As well, there are gentle OTC Kaolin/probiotic pastes like Canikur, Fast Balance, Protexin Prokolin and Propectalin that can be used to help normalize stools and settle the upset gut.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but the Ficus berries could certainly be the trigger for Cocoa's signs. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down at any stage, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can make sure there is nothing else afoot and start symptomatic care to settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )