Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a dog that weights about 20 lbs. My husband was

Customer Question

I have a dog that weights about 20 lbs. My husband was eating a nectarine and threw the pit in the garbage. I think my dog got it and ate it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I read somewhere that the pits are poisonous
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: I don't know her age because she is a rescued animal. My guess is that she is about 9 or 10
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rose
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the pits?

Friend, in response to your question, yes, nectarine do have cyanide in their pits, but, the amount if very small and not likely to cause any problems. Plus, the dog would need to chew and open the seeds to get into it which normally does not happen. So, usually, dogs are able to pass the pit in their feces without any problem. I would not worry about cyanide toxicity, in this case, she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter