Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a 12 year old catahoula female dog. About 20 minutes

Customer Question

Hello I have a 12 year old catahoula female dog. About 20 minutes ago when we tried to get her to go outside we noticed she couldn't stand up, had hind leg shaking (spasms) and almost no balance. She was responsive and had no loss of bowel or bladder. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: A sore spot on the top of her left hind leg about 3 inches above her toes. No apparent infection as far as discoloration puss or odor.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: We plan on taking her in the morning to her regular vet as she seems to be getting more stable and less shakes. Just looking to see if this is an immediate emergency
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Tell me more about the lack of balance. Is she rolling over onto her side/tripping/falling or simply unable to hold her body up?

2) Is she on any medications at this time?

3) Look at her eyes? Are they moving or holding still? If moving, are they moving side-to-side, up-and-down or turning like a door knob?

4) When you call her name, does she respond by turning her head and focusing on you/your location?

5) Does she still have an appetite?

6) If you are able to attach a video of the episode you're seeing, this may be useful.