Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

We took in a mini Australian Shepherd from a family in

Customer Question

We took in a mini Australian Shepherd from a family in Colorado that couldn't keep him. We are having quite an issue with stomach upset. He throws up almost on a daily basis. I feel he is "allergic" to Kansas, he tries to eat grass and then starts the vomiting. He is active, very playful, we walk twice a day and play. Tonight he threw up all he had eaten and now cant seem to keep down even water. He is 2 years old and current on all of his shots
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I feel he is still transitioning and misses his Colorado Family, Would zofan help with his upset stomach
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, this doesn't sound like a state based allergy. Instead, I suspect the stress of all this life change has allowed a gut infection to take root. Otherwise, we'd also have to be wary that his severe nausea and gut upset could be related to pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

Now if he cannot even keep water down, we need to tread with care. Dogs that nauseous often won't respond or keep oral medication down and thus need injectable treatment from their vet. That said, you can try Zofran with him. Dose-wise, we tend to give 0.05 to 0.5 mg per pounds of their weight every 12 hours. If he keeps it down and settled, grand. If he cannot, then injectable treatment would be indicated.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk with this severe vomiting and nauses, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but Kansas is likely innocent. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.