Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My stand mixer fell on my puppy (left back leg). She was

Customer Question

Hi there. My stand mixer fell on my puppy (left back leg). She was crying for a bit but she is calm now. The leg and thigh part is OK since she doesn't look pained when we touch it. However, when we touch the toe part, she cries. No swelling..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She can also get up but the affected leg won't touch the ground
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can she put her foot on the ground even for a moment?

Are you feeling any instability or boney crunching when you feel her toe region?

Is she also comfortable when you extend her hip?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
shecan put her foot down. She's walking now but still limping a little bit
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

I am very glad to hear that she can weight bear a bit, as these kinds of traumatic injuries do carry a high risk of hip dislocation (which can be an emergency) and even spinal/nerve damage. With those aside, we'd be most concerned of severe soft tissue bruising but where she is uncomfortable (and considering her age) raises worries of a hairline fracture. And I must warn that because of the small stature of the bones in the toes, it is possible for them to be subtle (where a fractured long bone cannot be walked on) and just present as non-resolving lameness. Therefore, if she is improving with time then we'd hope for bruising and would want to gently warm compress her foot over the weekend. Though if she is still lame and uncomfortable come Monday, then we'd need to think about having her vet xray her toes. Of course, they can dispense pup safe pain relief for her at that time too (since there are no safe OTC human options we can use here). Depending on their findings, she may just need rest to allow any small hairline fracture to heal. Though if the bone fragments can move, then a cast or even possibly surgery would be needed to ensure they lie aligned so they may heal properly and avoid any future discomfort.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Justinne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Serena. How is everything going?

Dr. B.