Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield

My havanese has a red inflamed ear and some wax. I cleaned

Customer Question

My havanese has a red inflamed ear and some brown wax. I cleaned it with Vetsolutions Ear Cleansing Solution, wiped it out and messaged the base of the ear. I have some Gentizol from the last time my dog had a red waxy ear. It has an expiration date of 9/15. Do you think I should use it or do I have to make a trip to the vet and get a new prescription. Kim
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am Dr. Pulter. I will help you with your question about your pup today. It sounds like you are worried that Roxy has an ear infection and want to use medication that you got last time. The medication is expired and it is not garunteed that it will help with this ear infection. The best possible thing you can do for Roxy is see her veterinarian to obtain an ear swab and diagnose her ear infecion. Depending on what her ear is infected with will help your vet determine what the best course of medication to use. It is great that you cleaned her ear out! I am sure she feels much better.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

When you go to the vet don't clean her ears out before so that they can get a good sample of the discharge. You're welcome.

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxy. How is everything going?

Chelsea Pulter