Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She has bloody urine, frequent urination. she ate fire

Customer Question

she has bloody urine, frequent urination. she ate fire extinguisher powder recently
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tiger. 33lbs. 13.5yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiger?
Customer: No vomiting. No diarrhea. She's been very cranky.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry Tiger is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How long since she ate fire extinguisher powder?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I Noticed yesterday because she had incontinence while I was out, which is out of the ordinary. Urine was very foul smelling. She ate the fire extinguisher powder on Tuesday. She has a mitral murmur and that is all.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I know this must be very stressful for you to see her urinating frequently with blood, I am sorry. In response to your question, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. I don't believe this is related to the fire extinguisher. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to the vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Another common possible cause could be bladder stones.

This is not a life-threatening emergency but should be seen by your family veterinarian as soon as possible for a hands-examination, urinalysis, and antibiotics. In the meantime, get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth. The flushing action of water helps with inflammation and the infection.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter