Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She had diarrhea yesterday -- pretty bad. I fed her plain

Customer Question

She had diarrhea yesterday -- pretty bad. I fed her plain boiled chicken and a teaspoon of pumpkin for dinner and breakfast. Today she will not drink water. When she does, it's just a few licks and then she coughs. No poop at all today yet...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bertie, she's about 1-yr old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bertie?
Customer: She's a new rescue. I just got her 3-wks ago. And I changed her food a few days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Bertie's signs, I'd be concerned that her struggles to drink water is likely related to an underlying nausea. Often we will see this alongside severe diarrhea and irritation/inflammation of the colon. So, further to keeping up on the small meals of that light diet with pumpkin, we'd want to try to counter any nausea. To do so, you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Though if she appears to have a sore throat as well (which could be an unrelated brewing upper airway infection or incidental if she has had some acid reflux), you can use a liqudi form of these or alternatively use Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 12 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Afterwards, to continue the light diet for Bertie. Though if you think the rice may be a struggle for her, cooked pasta or boiled potato can be substituted. As well, you can use another protein source like boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free) if you wish. And there are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Whichever you use, also do make sure that she is up to date on worming and consider adding OTC canine probiotics (ie Bene-bac, Fortiflora) to these meals to help stabilize her gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Of course, if her signs linger even with the above added in, do plan to have a stool sample tested by her vet. That way they can rule out common bacterial agents, viruses, and protozoa which often are issues in new rescues that we need to address when present.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )