Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have an American Bulldog. He is 6 years of age and has

Customer Question

I have an American Bulldog. He is 6 years of age and has terrible skin problems. I got him when he was 4 months old and had him for about a month and his hair started coming out and his was red. We took him to the vet a they said it was red mange so we took him to get dipped every 2 weeks in something for red mange for 3 months. He now pretty much stays on prednisone and benadryl. He has allergies his stomach,ears, and between his toes are red and he has extremely dry skin with bumps all over also he had a odor to him maybe like yeast smell. I have tried fish oil and olive oil in his food.Nothing is helping.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Amanda again. Did you see my reply to your question that you posted about 10 minutes ago? If you did and are not happy with my reply, I can opt out of this question to see if a different expert can help you.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I have not seen the reply. Can't find it. Sorry

Okay, hang on, I will copy and paste it into this conversation.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Dexter is having such severe skin problems.

When I see an itchy dog, I usually think of the following things:

1) Environmental allergies. Treatments can include prednisone or antihistamines, but can also involve the following- frequent (3x weekly bathing to physically wash off the allergens), fish oil supplements, antioxidant supplements and topical cortisone sprays on the affected areas. You can use prednisone long term if you use a low enough dose, I would aim for about 0.5mg/pound of dog maximum per day. You can also consider allergy testing and allergy shots. These treatments are available through your regular veterinarian or you can consider taking him to a dermatologist.

2) Food allergies. These are also common and something to strongly consider with Dexter. I would recommend a food trial with a hydrolyzed protein diet (Science Diet, Royal Canin and Purina all have varieties of these formulas.) These diets also have a variety of other ingredients that can also help the skin and reduce the severity of environmental allergies.

3) Fleas. Fleas are a very common cause of itchiness in dogs. I would ensure that your dog has good flea control as the first step. Good over-the-counter products include Frontline Plus, Advantage, and the Seresto collar.

4) Mange. This is a much less common cause of itchiness in dogs. Your veterinarian can diagnose this with a physical exam and a skin scrape.

It sounds like your vet already found demodex (red mange) on Dexter. Did they say anything about it being "localized" or "generalized"? There is a genetic condition in some dogs where they get generalized demodex infections because their immune system cannot control the mites. These dogs usually require life long treatments for the mange, such as Ivermectin or Milbimycin.

Here is a link about demodex-

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=630

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry but not happy with answer. Already said pretty much to everything you have posted in my question to you. I would like a refund.

Have you considered a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet?

I think customer service will be able to help you with your concern. You can contact them at this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help where you can chat, call, or send a support request. Or you can email directly to *****@******.*** .