Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My daughter's dog died last night, she states it was

Customer Question

My daughter's dog died last night , she states it was bleeding from its nose and rectum and had been listless for days. There is some question as to whether it may have been poisoned. Is it possible the dog could have died from disease? And does the ASPCA get involved in suspicious deaths such as this one? Thank you for your time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your daughter's dog ate?
Customer: My daughter's dog died last night she states it was bleeding from its nose and rectum and had been listless for two days there is some question as to whether it may have been poisoned is it possible the dog could have died from disease and does the ASPCA get involved in suspicious death such as this one. The dog would not drink and was unable to keep any water down or food down for 2 days had diarrhea as well thank you
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your daughter's dog?
Customer: He was a very healthy dog and has had all of his shots.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If her dog was was bleeding from both orifices and listless before (which could be a sign of internal bleeding beforehand), then exposure to anti-coagulants (ie rat bait, Warfarin) would be a serious concern. This could have been given as a poison but we do see dogs often ingest rat bait when it is used in places they have access to (ie farms, yards, etc) or in some cases where they eat a poisoned rodent. Otherwise, if her dog was older then we can see this type of sudden deterioration and death secondary to come cancers. As well, we cannot rule out foreign bodies or other toxicities (be it plant based, chemicals, drugs, or something given) at this stage. So, these would be our main concerns with this situation.

Otherwise,in regards ***** ***** question, the ASPCA may be willing to get involved if there are questionable circumstances around his passing. They may assist in having her dog autopsied to get to the root cause here. Otherwise, she can speak to her vet, ring the local vet lab, or vet school to perform an autopsy. This can help your daughter discover if there was a tumor behind this, if there is evidence of a gut based issue, and assess if there was bleeding throughout the body. Samples can also be collected to test for the presence of anti-coagulants or any other toxins suspected once they have fully examined the body.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )