Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I dropped a 6.25 extended release ambien, I don't know if my

Customer Question

I dropped a 6.25 extended release ambien, I don't know if my boston terrier eat it. Can it hurt him if he did?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

It can but toxicity is unpredictable with this drug.

We can see toxicity at 0.1mg/kg or approximately 1 mg for a 10 kg (22 lb) Boston. Symptoms are usually mild to moderate but can include the following:

Severe sedation

Severe agitation

Hyperactivity

Aggression

Panting

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Drooling

Tremors

Hyperthermia

Walking drunk

Respiratory or cardiovascular depression

I recommend inducing emesis by dosing him with 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight of 3%hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes particularly if fed a slice of bread prior to dosing. If he doesn’t vomit, you should repeat the same dose.

Here’s a thorough review of this intoxication:

J Vet Intern Med. 2002 Mar-Apr;16(2):208-10.

Clinical syndrome associated with zolpidem ingestion in dogs: 33 cases (January 1998-July 2000).

Richardson JA, Gwaltney-Brant SM, Albretsen JC, Khan SA, Porter JA.

Source: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, Urbana, IL, USA.***@******.***

Abstract

Zolpidem is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic of the imidazopyridine class that is used to treat insomnia in humans. Zolpidem binds selectively to the benzodiazepine omega-1 receptor and increases the frequency of chloride channel opening, which results in inhibition of neuronal excitation. A retrospective study was conducted of zolpidem ingestion in dogs that were reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) between January 1998 and July 2000. Data analysis included amount ingested, clinical effects, and time of onset of signs. Thirty-three reports of zolpidem ingestion in dogs (ranging in age from 5 months to 16 years) were evaluated. Approximate ingested dosages ranged from 0.24 to 21 mg/kg. Clinical signs reported included ataxia (18 dogs; 54.5%), hyperactivity (10 dogs; 30.3%), vomiting (7 dogs; 21.2%), and lethargy (5 dogs; 15.2%), as well as panting, disorientation, nonspecific behavior disorder, and hypersalivation (4 dogs each sign; 12.1%). Other signs reported include tachycardia, tremors, apprehension, vocalization, hypersalivation, weakness, and hyperesthesia. In 85% percent of reports, clinical signs developed within 1 hour and usually resolved within 12 hours. Although central nervous system (CNS) depression is reported as a primary effect of zolpidem in humans and would also be expected in dogs, information obtained from this study indicates that some dogs may exhibit a paradoxical excitation reaction. This effect appears to vary among individual dogs

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you. I will do that. I am not certain that he eat it. So far he is behaving normally. I don't have hydrogen peroxide. Is there something else I can use?

No, unfortunately there's nothing else safe enough to induce emesis. Syrup of ipecac has been discontinued and salt caused too much poisoning in its own right! If he's remained normal for an hour, it's likely that he didn't ingest the Ambien. Signs developed within an hour as mentioned above in that retrospective study.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is, he is having his normal behaviour for this time of night. and it has been about an hour. I will stay up and monitor. Or maybe I'll take him to the emergency vet.thank you

It sounds as if staying up with him for another hour will suffice. The kicker is that ER (extended release) drugs are unpredictably absorbed by dogs. Use your best judgement. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.